Gabriel’s Mate (Scanguards Vampires) by Tina Folsom

After Maya is turned into a vampire against her will, vampire and Scanguards bodyguard Gabriel is charged with protecting her and finding her attacker. Gabriel has never guarded a body as perfect as Maya's. Moreover, Maya's enticing blend of vulnerability and strength is difficult to resist. Yet resist he must. Even as the sexual tension between them rises and the rogue vampire closes in on them, Gabriel refuses to give into his desire. Despite the intimacies they share, Gabriel fears that if he ever reveals himself fully to her, Maya will react like other women have, running from him, and calling him a monster, a freak, a creature not worth her love. Will Maya prove to be the one female who cherishes all that Gabriel is?

I’ll keep this review short but sweet. If you like a bit of kink with your vampire romances you’ll like this book. I have read all of Ms Folsom’s books available via iBooks, and this was my favourite because it was the most unique.

Gabriel, a vampire with a peculiar deformity is rejected by all females and resigns himself to living a singular, sexually frustrated life which proves difficult as vampires in this book are exceedingly sexual beings. Then along comes a beaten, bloody, half dead and half turned vampire, Maya. He falls for her, she falls for him, he turns her, and there are many delightful mix ups, twists and turns, and general “I like you do you like me too” shenanigans as she tries to come to terms with her new life as a vampire, and her inexplicable craving for Gabriel’s blood (as opposed to human blood).

Now, I don’t want to give away the main juicy bit, because then I would take away the delicious shock, fit of giggles, wistful thinking then embarrassing visuals that come with it. My boyfriend became rather concerned when I kept looking at his groin then away with a speculative expression (didn’t realise how much I was doing it until he mentioned it). I’d never come across a situation like it in any other vampire romance I’d read before, and it takes a quite a bit for a book to surprise me. I do wish Ms Folsom's covers were a little less typical though.

3 skulls.

Comments are closed.